Weekdays; Fire & Life Safety Director (FLSD), On-Line Course
The New York City Fire Department (FDNY) is accrediting an On-Line Fire & Life Safety Directors (FLSD) course.
The course provides the required 31-hours of instructions.
The Fire Safety Directors, Emergency Action Plan Director and Active Shooter/Medical Emergency courses have been combined into one course made up into two components. This Fire & Life Safety Directors (FLSD) course is covered in two Components
(1) Fire Safety Components,
(2) Non-Fire Emergencies with Active Shooter/Medical Emergencies.Component
Required Criteria for online training:
This course content will be virtual face to face technology learning platform. “Zoom” platform.
The platform utilizes interactive conferencing.
The platform allows the instructor to see and talk with all the students in real time inside the virtual face to face classroom the whole time the class is in session.
The online class session will be live with the instructor present at all times.
The live instructor will be visible on the student’s computer screen at all times. The students computer also screen will present the PowerPoint training the instructor is presenting.
The instructor should be able to see each student in the classroom session.
GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR ONLINE LEARNING:
1. All students are required to provide the NYFSI a valid government issued photo identification document such as a State-issued Drivers’ License or Non Driver’s License or a passport at the beginning of a class. This process allows the online instructor to verify the correct person is online during the classroom session. A color copy of the students ID must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Each online classroom training session will not exceed a maximum of 5 hours and 10 minutes in length per-scheduled online classroom session.
3. NYFSI is required to take attendance at the beginning of a class during the online classroom session, when returned from breaks and at the end of session attendance must be taken the instructor. Attendance must be taken by confirming that the student is online and his/her camera is active. Students camera must remain active the entire time of the class is in session. Student may turn off camera during a break until the class resumes. Any student who leaves the cameras view without permission at any time must be marked absent from the class.
4. NYFSI will retain all the attendance records for auditors of FDNY at any time.
5. NYFSI will provide all the students with classroom manual for review prior to the scheduled online class session. This manual will be distributed to the student via email to the email address provided. The FLSD course must be paid for before the FLSD Manual is electronically send.
6. This on-line platform will have the ability for group chat during the online session.
7. Practical skills exercise or hand on demonstrations will be presented by the on-line instructors camera.
8. The instructor-to-student ratio is limited to not exceed twenty (25) students per class.
9. The graduation test will be also conducted on-line under the supervision of a proctor or instructor.
Students will required to have a Computer or Laptop with a camera.
This Fire & Life Safety Directors (FLSD) course is required for all hotels and office buildings.
Pre-requisite for FLSD F-89: 1.5 years of Fire Safety related experience, including 6 months of experience in one property.
Click link to review new qualifications criteria:
FDNY requires that you attend all on-line classes
The attendance is required to take at the beginning of a class during the online classroom session, when returned from breaks and at the end of session attendance must be taken the instructor. Attendance will be taken by confirming that the student is online and his/her camera is active. Students camera must remain active the entire time of the class is in session. Student may turn off camera during a break until the class resumes. Any student who
leaves the cameras view without permission at any time must be marked absent from the class.
A Fire Life Safety Director (FLSD) is required in any commercial building or occupancy that obtained FDNY approval of the installation of a fire alarm system with two-way voice communication, and is required to provide a FLSD or other specified emergency preparedness staffing during regular business hours required by Chapter 4 of the Fire Code.
Any building classified as Group E (1968 Code) or Group B (2008 Code) by the NYC Department of Buildings, which has an occupancy of 100 people or more must have a Fire & Life Safety Director on site during regular business hours. This includes office buildings, public or civil services buildings, and hotels. The Fire & Life Safety Director must hold a valid Certificate of Fitness and is responsible for implementing a fire safety and evacuation plan, training fire safety personnel (FSP), and other duties related to fire safety and evacuation plans.
This Certificate of Fitness is valid only at a specific location and for the specific person to whom it is issued.
Please download the class books before first day of class.
- FDNY new procedures for COF application and appointment
- Fire Life Safety Director's Quiz By Chapters
- Fire Life Safety Director's Non-Fire Quiz
- Download the FDNY Notice of Examination, which includes the procedures and requirements to become a certified Fire & Life Safety Director.
- Apply with the FDNY for your Certificate of Fitness for Fire & Life Safety Director. You will also find links for the FDNY’s onsite exam study guides.
- Download the FDNY Verification Letter for Application for Fire & Life Safety Director T-89.
- Download the FDNY Application for Z-59/N-89/T-89 Fire & Life Safety Director Hi-rise & Hotel/Motel.
- Use this link to schedule the Fire & Life Safety Director Onsite Exam with the FDNY.
- Fire and Life Safety Director Qualifications
- Reference Guide Questions
- Reference Guide Questions with the Answers
- FLS Director Response Checklist – FIRE INCIDENTS
- FLS Director Response Checklist – NON-FIRE INCIDENTS
- FLS Director Response Checklist – MEDICAL EMERGENCIES
- FDNY F-85 to 89 pgs. 30-42 Notice of Exam