Fire Component Quiz Chapter 1
1) Who is responsible to report to the Fire Command Station in the absence of a FLSD or a Deputy FLSD in an office building after normal business hours?a) floor warden
b) Chief Engineer
c) Building Evacuation Supervisor
d) Fire Brigade member
2) If a building is equipped with a stand pipe only, what color would the buildings fire department connection be?
3) How many floor wardens are required in a 30 story Class B building?
d) depends on the square footage of each floor
a) rate of rise heat detector
4) Which of the following initiating devices must be replaced after it has activated?
b) single action pull station
c) carbon monoxide detector
d) fixed temperature heat detector
5) A technician enters your building to work on your buildings multi zone standpipe system, as FLSD you should ensure the technician possesses what certification? (Reference Material)
6) Water dripping from an automatic ball drip, after the FDNY has disconnected from the FDNY connection, is an indication of___________?a) a defect in the FDNY Connection
b) some leakage from this valve is expected
c) indicates a faulty lower check valve
d) indicates the system was overcharged
a) alarm signal
7) All of the following are signals received at the Fire Alarm Control Panel except?
b) trouble signal
c) surge signal
d) supervisory signal
a) smoke detector in the elevator lobby
8) Which of the following will not cause a recall of a buildings elevators?
b) sprinkler activation
c) smoke detector in elevator machinery room
d) manual pull station
a) class J
9) Under the 2014 building code, buildings that are used primarily for transacting business and rendering professional services would be classified as____?
b) class R-1
c) Class A
d) Class B
a) shelter in place
10) Which of the following is not an action to be taken during a fire or non fire emergency?
b) in building relocation
c) partial evacuation
d) Roof relocation
11) If a building has 200 sprinkler heads in it’s sprinkler system, how many spare heads must be kept on the premises? (Reference Material)
12) All of the following are members of the Fire and Life Safety Staff except?
- a) Critical operations staff
- b) Deputy Fire and Life Safety Director
- c) Deputy Floor Warden
- d) owners representative
13) If a buildings auxiliary radio communication system is out of service, a tag identifying the system as out if service must be placed at?
- a) the entrance to the building
- b) at all warden phone locations
- c) at the Fire command center
- d) at the buildings communications center
a) Fire Pump
14) Which of the following pumps is designed to operate when there is a slight drop in pressure due to leakage or a pressure surge?
b) booster pump
c) special service pump
d) Jockey Pump
a) cross main
15) The vertical portion of the system piping that delivers the water supply for hose connections and sprinklers on standalone as well as combined systems is known as:
b) branch line
d) feed main
16) The Fire Department recommends that the FLS staff participate in training designed to familiarize them with their duties. The initial training in both fire and non-fire training the training duration for FLS brigade members should be (Both Parts):(Reference Material)a) two hours
b) three hours
c) one hour
d) thirty minutes
a) manual pull station
17) Which of the following would result in the shutting down of a buildings HVAC system?
b) rate of rise heat detector
c) duct smoke detector
d) area smoke detector
18) If the stem on an os&y valve is raised, this indicates a stanpipe system is?
b) out of service
a) 60 degrees
19) The Temperature in the fire pump room should be kept at a minimum of:
b) 40 degrees
c) 32 degrees
d) 50 degrees
a) dry standpipe with automatic dry pipe valve
20) The most common standpipe system in operation is:
b) wet standpipe
c) dry standpipe with no permanent water supply
d) yard system
Answers for Quiz 1 can be found on
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 3
1- Upon implementation of the FDNY plan or during the drills, the FLS Director must identify themselves to building occupants and others by?a- standing at the fire command station.
b- donning a vest, armband, or other form of identification indicating their role.
c-responding to the location of the reported emergency.
d-meeting the fire department outside
2- In the event of a fire, a medical emergency or other non-fire emergency in the building, the FLS Director must?
a. Always report the fire command station
b. implement such fire safety and/or non-fire emergency actions as are warranted by the circumstances, in accordance with the provisions of the FDNY Plan, the Fire Code, and the Fire Rules;
c. notify arriving emergency response personnel of the nature of the emergency and the response thereto; and
d. comply with the directions of the emergency response personnel and/or other lawful authority.
e. All of above
3- Select the correct statement regarding Building Evacuation Supervisor (BES).
a. BES is authorized to perform FLS Director’s duties when the FLS Director is out for lunch.
b. BES is required to possess a Certificate of Fitness.
c. BES is allowed to perform FLS Director’s duties in office buildings outside regular business hours.
d. BES is responsible to train FLS staff.
4- Which of the following is incorrect concerning the duties of the fire and life safety director?
a. The FLS Director must be fully familiar with the provisions of the FDNY plan and must always conduct the FLS staff training and fire and non-fire emergency drills required by Fire Code.
b. The FLS Director must supervise and train the Deputy FLS Director and other FLS staff, including conducting initial and periodic refresher training to maintain the state of readiness of such staff.
c. The FLS Director must immediately report to 911 any (fire and non-fire) emergency and any determination to implement the FDNY plan
d. The FLS Director must be responsible for a daily check of the availability of FLS wardens and Deputy FLS wardens (if the wardens are required in the premises), and make such notifications or temporary assignments as are necessary to ensure adequate FLS staffing.
5- How many unwarranted unnecessary alarms are allowed to be transmitted in any three-month period before the issuance of the fire department summons to the building?
6- in a 45 story office building how many FLS wardens are required in the building?
7- in an open area office space of 22,500 ft.² how many deputy FLS wardens are required?
8- during a fire drill occupants should be instructed to first notify_______ in the event of a fire
a. the owner of their company
b. a family member
c. the building manager
9- in the event of a fire, non-fire emergency or medical emergency, the FLS Dir. On-duty must?
a. Report the fire command station
b. evaluate reports from the floor wardens before taking any action
c. report the location of the emergency
d. call local firehouse and wait for their instructions
10- fire and life safety searches are currently only required in the comprehensive fire safety and emergency action plan for office buildings. Which of the following statements is incorrect about the searchers?
a. At least one male and one female FLS searcher are required on each floor of the building.
b. FLS Searchers must be on duty on each floor during regular business hours of such employers
c. in the absence of the deputy FLS warden the searchers must perform the duties of the deputy FLS warden.
d. The FLS searchers must assist the warden by searching all areas floor to be relocated or evacuated.
11- Regarding initial training for fire and life safety staff members, the initial training for the FLS wardens, deputy wardens, brigade members, and all other FLS staff in both fire safety and non-fire safety is how many hours? (Reference Material)
12- During regular business hours, in the event of a fire and/or smoke condition or the activation of alarm the FLS building Building Evacuation Supervisor must do all the following except?
a. Report immediately to command center.
b. Gather information from the FLS brigade members if available
c. identify stairways for evacuation of building occupants and stairways to be used by firefighters.
d. Call the fire safety director immediately
13-in the event of a fire was smoke condition or activation of who determines the location of the fire and directs the evacuation of the floor?
a. The building evacuation supervisor will
b. The brigade members
c. The fire department
d. The FLS Dir. on-duty
14-upon arrival of the FDNY to a building, the brigade members should report the fire command station except for
a. Two members should stay together as a team on the floor below.
b. All three members immediately report to the fire command center.
c. If it is safe to do so, one brigade members should stay on the floor below the fire to direct the fire department as to the location and to inform them of the conditions.
d. Because they are trained all members of the brigade stay on the fire floor until relieved by the fire department.
15- what is an assembly area?
a. An area on the roof of the building where people can await evacuation
b. the lobby where all people evacuating will congregate.
c. Normally it’s right in front of the building so that we can stay as close as possible to communicate.
d. Is an area outside of the building and away from the building that is provided in your plan where we meet after a partial a full evacuation
Answers for Quiz 3 can be found on
1. What will occur when oxygen is introduced into a room full of hot gases
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 4
2. Fire spreads by transferring the heat energy from the flames in all of the following ways EXCEPT:
3. There are three things that must be brought together to produce fire. Which of the ones listed below is not one of the?
4. Heat can be transferred by all of the following methods except?
5. Which of the following is not a stage of fire behavior?
The answers for quiz 4 can be found on
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 5
- Any building with an occupied floor located more than _____ feet above the street level is defined as a high-rise building.
- A Fire Alarm Control Panel (FACP) initiates following signals EXCEPT:
b) Supervisory Signals
c) Trouble Signals
d) National Disasters
- Carbon Monoxide Detectors are required in any building that has:
b) A lounge
c) Fossil (gas / oil ) fuel burning equipment
d) A train station under building
- An example of a ONE WAY Communication system is:
b) In-building auxiliary radio communication (ARC) system
c) Cell Phones
d) Public Address (PA) system
- It is unlawful to transmit _____ or more unnecessary or unwarranted alarms in any 3 month period.
- Fire Department Connections for a Standpipe system will have _____ coloredcaps.
- In a multi-zone standpipe system:
b) each zone will have its own individual automatic water supply
c) each zone has no automatic water supply
d) required to be a combination system
- Fire Department Connections for an automatic dry sprinkler system will have _____ colored caps.
8a. Fire Department Connections for a non-automatic dry sprinkler system will have _____ colored caps.a) Green
- A ROOF OUTLET MANIFOLD will have _____ 2 1/2 inch hose outlet(s).
10. Which one of the following is NOTa characteristic of fixed temperature heat detectors?
a) They have fusible elements.
b) They are more sensitive than rate of rise heat detectors.
c) They need to be replaced after they activate the alarm.
d) They consist of two electrical contacts housed in a protective unit.
11.The fire command station has the capability to __________.a) send alarm signals directly to the fire department
b) communicate with every floor at the same time via warden phones.
c) cancel central station company notification.
d) make an all call announcement throughout entire building or selective floors via public address speakers
- The following will occur automatically to elevators in a Class B Office building when a Sprinkler water flow device is activated:
a)They will operate normally until manually recalled by the Fire Safety Director.
b) They will return to the main lobby without stopping.
c) They will return to the main lobby floor stopping at each floor on the way down.
d) The Emergency Stop button in the elevator car will remain functional.
- In order to reset the Fire Alarm Panel in the event of an unwarranted fire alarm signal the FSD can:
b) re-set the system as soon as it is known that it was an unwarranted activation.
c) re-set the system after calling the Fire Department dispatcher and canceling the Fire Department response.
d) re-set the alarm system upon orders from the central station company.
- All of the following are correct regarding a building’s Fire Command Sub-SystemEXCEPT:
b) fire alarm signals are transmitted directly to the Central Station, by-passing the base building fire alarm system
c) supervisory and trouble signals will be displayed at both the sub-system and base building systems
d) they may be installed in a building with a required base building fire alarm system either voluntarily or mandated
- Which item is required to be kept in the fire command station?
b) The smoke detector maintenance logbook.
c) Four 2642 elevator keys.
d) Six spare sprinkler heads.
16.Supervisory devices will _______
- notify FDNY of problems with system
B. monitor the building’s components of its fire protection system
C. transmit fire alarm signals when there is a loss of power in building
D. automatically correct abnormal conditions within the protection system
17. All newly installed fire alarm pull stations must be located within how many feet of the exit doorway opening?a) 1
- Activation of any manual fire alarm pull station must:
b) recall all elevators non-stop to the lobby floor.
c) activate the audible and visual alarms on the floor where activated, one floor above and the floor below (if applicable).
d) sends a signal to the nearest fire company.
- The correct way to reset the fire alarm system after an alarm is activated from a manual fire alarm pull station?
b) The main panel must be reset before the fire alarm pull station is reset.
c) The pull station must be reset to its normal position and then the main panel is reset.
d) A key is always required to reset the fire alarm system.
- A water flow from SPRINKLER is considered a (an):
b) supervisory signal
c) fire alarm signal.
d) impairment signal.
21. The Fire Alarm Panel’s Reset Switch should only be activated _________.
a) Upon orders of the Fire Dept. Officer in charge
b) immediately after the alarm is reported to be unwarranted.
c) after the building has been totally evacuated.
d) if the fire brigade extinguishes the fire.
22. An Out of Service Fire Protection System requires the Impairment Coordinator to notify:22
a) Certificate of Fitness Holder of system
b) Fire Dept. Borough Dispatcher (if system affects more than 1 floor for more than 8 hours)
d) Insurance Carrier
e) ALL of the ABOVE
- A Fire Guard must (after initial 4 hours):
b) be maintained continuously for 24 hours a day
c) patrol all areas at least once an hour
d) ALL of the ABOVE
- All of the following are correct statements regarding Standpipe systems except?
b) Standpipes are required in Buildings over 100 feet in height
c) Standpipe Zone heights are limited to 300 feet
d) A Fire Department Connection for a stand pipe system will be painted Red
- A Fire Department Connection that serves a combination Standpipe/ Sprinkler system shall be painted?
c) Painting of Fire Department Connections is no longer necessary under the 2014 Fire Code. Appropriate Signs indicating the system type are required.
- All portions of exposed Standpipe Systems are required to be painted Red except?
b) Cross Connections
d) Sprinkler riser in a combination system
- Question Removed
- Select the incorrect statement regarding Fire Department Connections:
b) A working Space of not less than 36 inches in width must be maintained in front of and around the Fire Department Connection
c) A Fire Department Connection is always installed in a stand pipe system
d) Fire Department Connections require hydrostatic testing every 10 years.
- In a Standpipe system the Automatic Ball Drip valve is installed for what purpose?
b) To drain water between the lower check valve and the outside Fire Department connection
c) To serve as a backup for a faulty lower check valve, ensuring water does not flow into the Fire Department Connection
d) It is opened to ensure water has entered the system, once the Fire Department hooks up to the Fire Department Connection
30. All of the following are true statements regarding Pressure Tanks except.
a) Pressure Tanks are kept at an equal ratio between air and water
b) A pressure tank may be used as a primary water source
c) Pressure Tanks may be located at different locations in the building
d) Pressure Tanks must be equipped with high and low air pressure supervisory signals
The answers for quiz 5 can be found on
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 6
a) Independent phase
b) Manual phase
c) Recall phase
d) In-car operational phase
2. Placing the lobby’s elevator key switch to Fireman Service will:
a) recall all the elevators in the building
b) recall only the fireman service elevators
c) recall all banks of elevators
d) recall the elevators in that bank
3. Automatic recall of the elevators will take place during all of the following except:
a) Manual pull station activation
b) Elevator landing smoke detector activation
c) Sprinkler water flow alarm
d) Smoke detector activation in an elevator machinery room
4. Regarding the Phase II elevator test all the following statements are correct except:a) It is known as the Operational Phase
b) Pressing then releasing the Door Open button will open the doors fully
c) Pressing the Call Cancel Button will cause the elevator to stop at the next available landing with the doors remaining closed
d) The test must be performed at least monthly
5. The elevator’s Manual/Independent Mode is:
a) Used by the FDNY during a fire
b) Usually used for a non-fire emergency
c) Never allowed to be used during an emergency
d) Operated by a Floor Warden
6. Which of the following is an example of Elevator in readiness:
a) In buildings between 75’ and 150’ in height having elevators with Phase I and Phase II
b) Elevators with the Manual Mode feature
c) Elevators serving all floors of the building
d) Unmanned freight elevators
7. A Citywide Standard Key (AKA 2642 key) must be able to do all the following except:
a) Operate the elevator’s PHASE I and II key switches
b) Open Key Boxes
c) Open the boiler room
d) Open the First Responder Box
8. Storing combustible materials or waste in corridors is:
b) Allowed if under 10 cubic yards
c) Allowed for short periods of time
d) Allowed as long as removed by end of the workday
9. According to the 1968 NYC Building Code an office building 100’ or greater must:
a) Have the stairway exit doors unlocked at all times
b) Have re-entry floors every 5 floors
c) Have Fail Safe devices on all locked re-entry floor doors
d) Lock all stairway doors for security purposes
10. A Fail Safe door will automatically unlock during all of the following events except:
a) Activation of an automatic fire detecting device
b) Elevator recall is activated
c) Signal from the Fire Command Station (FCS)
d) Whenever an ALL CALL announcement is made
11.Which of the following is a correct statement regarding EXIT signs:
a).They must be posted on the Primary evacuation stairway only
b) Illuminated exit signs must be illuminated at all times
c) The letters can be any color
d) The tenant has the option of not having them posted on their floor
12. A Staircase Identification Letter must be posted:
a) Occupant side only
b) Stairwell side only
c) On both the occupant and stairwell side
d) On either the occupant or stairwell side
13. If the total designed occupant load of an office building (Class B) is more than 500 persons the floor re-entry sign may read all of the following except:
a) NO RE-ENTRY FROM THIS STAIR
b) NO RE-ENTRY FROM THIS STAIR EXCEPT DURING FIRE OR EMERGENCY
c) NO RE-ENTRY ON THIS FLOOR
d) RE-ENTRY DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS ONLY
14. On a floor other than a re-entry floor the sign on the staircase side of the door must read:
a) NO RE-ENTRY
b) NO RE-ENTRY EXCEPT DURING EMERGENCY
c) RE-ENTRY FLOOR
d) NO RE-ENTRY NEAREST RE-ENTRY ON THE __ AND __ FLOORS
a) A sign must be posted indicating the # of persons who may legally occupy the space
b) The sign lettering must be posted in the office
c) A sign is not required where there is fixed seating with no standee space provisions
d) An Assembly Space in NYC is considered an area that is designed to hold 75 or more persons
16. On or immediately adjacent to the main door of a guest room in a Group R-1 Occupancy ( Hotel) a notice must be posted providing all the following information except:
a) A visual representation of the location to each exit stairway, the route thereto and the number of doors that must be passed to reach the exit door
b)Location of the Manual Pull Stations
c) The room’s Sprinkler Diagram
d) Procedures to be followed in the event of an emergency
17. Entrance Door Room # markings in Group R-1 and Group R-2:
a) Are optional but recommended
b) Are placed at eye level to be easily seen
c) Assist emergency personnel in locating units
d) Are only required for R-1 and R-2 buildings constructed after 2016
b) Reduce air infiltration
c) Maintain pressure relationships between spaces
d) All the above
19. HVAC systems include the equipment used to do all of the following except:
a) Dry or humidify the air
b) Filter and clean the air
c) Pressurize the stairwells
20. As the FLSD you must obtain the following information regarding the HVAC system except:
a) Location of the zones they supply
b) Central control of the system
c) Special HVAC zones in the building (i.e. Theaters, Restaurants, etc..)
d) The year the system was installed
21. Building HVAC systems are often controlled by a computer-based control system known as:
a) HVAC Monitoring Program (HMP)
b) System Control Panel (SCP)
c) Building Management System (BMS)
d) HVAC Sensor System (HSS)
22. Dedicated smoke control systems:
a)May perform various functions in a building
b) Are often found in stairways and elevator shafts
c) Must be tested annually
d) Inspection and Testing of the system logbooks must be kept for 3 years
a)They are considered a smoke control system
b) Their doors must be self or automatic closing
c) Heat detectors must be installed
d) They produce pressure differences across smoke barriers
24. The process by which fans are activated within a stair enclosure to pressurize it and prevent smoke from entering is known as:
a) Smoke shaft
b) HVAC purge system
c) Stair pressurization
d) Stair ventilation
25. Smoke shafts are:
a) Essentially a simple ventilation system designed to extract any smoke during a fire
b) Required in buildings fully sprinklered
c) Required in new buildings only
d) All of the above answers are correct
a) Smoke compartment
b) Smoke chamber
c) Open floor plan
d) HVAC zone
27. Pursuant to the 2008 or 2014 Building Code a post-fire smoke purge system:
a) Must have a panel located in the engineering office
b) Will be under the control of the FDNY only
c) Will automatically operate when an automatic fire alarm is activated
d) A record of tests and inspections must be maintained for minimum of 5 years
28. Emergency power systems are required in:
b) Hi-rise office buildings
c) Office buildings under 75’ in height with more than 15,000 sq ft/floor or a total gross area over 100,000 sq ft
d) All of the above
29. A Level 1 emergency power system can provide power for all of the following except:
a) Fire detection and alarm systems
c) Tenant’s main frame computer
d) Life safety illumination
30. A Level 1 emergency power system can provide power for all of the following except:
a) Lighting throughout building
b) Fire pumps
c) Public safety communication systems
d) Essential ventilating and smoke removal systems
31. All of the following individuals are authorized to inspect, test and maintain emergency power systems except:
a) Certificate of fitness as a FLSD
b) Q-01 Certificate of Qualification
c) An electrician holding a special license issued by the building’s Chief engineer
d) A person holding a stationary engineer license or high-pressure boiler operating engineer’s license issued by the Department of Buildings
32. In regards to the emergency power system as an FLSD you are responsible for all of the following except:
a) Know what type of system is installed
b) Know the systems manufacturer
c)Know the location of the power source and the location of the control switch for activating the emergency generator
d) Know what equipment is connected to the emergency power system
33. An Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS):
a) Must be visually inspected by the building engineer
b) Must have a conspicuous posted sign with any potential hazards, safety precautions and shutoff switch locations
c) Cabinets are not required to have a sign
d) Must be removed from the premise prior to Jan. 1 2019
34. All of the following are correct statements in a multi -tenant building with an UPS battery system except:
a) There may be more than a single UPS system
b) Each UPS system must have its own C of F holder
c) Each tenant is responsible for their own system
d) The building manager must know the location of all UPS battery systems in their building
35. An incorrect statement regarding refrigerating system is:
a) Fire Code requires a permit when the refrigerating system is suspended from the ceiling
b) A Certificate of Qualification as a Refrigerating System Operating Engineer (Q-01) is required to personally supervise certain systems
c) At least one Refrigerating System Operating Engineer (RSOE) must be present 24/7
d) The Fire Code requires a written record of refrigerant quantities brought into and removed from the premise
36. A system that consists of commercial cooking equipment, exhaust hoods, filters, exhaust duct systems, fire extinguishing system and other related components designed to capture grease laden vapors and exhaust them safely to the outdoors is a:
a) Commercial Cooking System
b) Commercial Exhaust System
c) Commercial Kitchen Duct System
d) Non-water Fire Extinguishing System
37. With Commercial Cooking Systems it is correct to state:
a) All food service staff must be trained that the system can only be operated automatically
b) All food service staff must be trained on the proper procedure for cleaning filters
c) All food service staff must have refresher training annually
d) The food service staff does not need to be trained on the Commercial Cooking System
38. It is correct to state the following regarding a building’s non-water fire extinguishing system except:
a) It is used in lieu of a required sprinkler system when water is not effective as an extinguishing agent
b) Must be visually inspected monthly
c) The FLSD is not allowed to perform the visual inspection
d) A Master Fire Suppression Piping contractor is authorized to test and service the system
The answers for quiz 6 can be found on
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 7
1) The minimum distance a portable fire extinguisher must be kept off the floor is:a) 12 inches
b) 4 inches
c) 5 feet
d) 24 inches
2) Question Removed
3) Newly issued portable Fire Extinguisher Tags (starting 11/15/18) will have all of the following features except?a) Hologram
d) QR Code
4) A Fire Guard for Torch operations must possess which of the following Certificates of Fitness? (Reference Material)a) F-01
5) Hot work operations involving cutting or welding must be conducted at least _______ feet from combustible materials and combustible waste.a) 50 feet
b) 100 feet
c) 10 feet
d) 35 feet
6) Select the incorrect statement regarding hot work operations:a) A pre hot work check must be conducted at least once a day
b) When hot work is being conducted close to a sprinkler head a damp cloth or guards must shield the individual sprinkler heads
c) Fire alarm systems must remain on line during hot work operations
d) A fire watch must continue for a minimum of 30 minutes after the conclusion of work
7) The responsible person for a hot work area must maintain a pre hot work check report for ______ hours after work is complete.a) 24 hours
b) 72 hours
c) 48 hours
d) 36 hours
8) Cut natural trees are permitted to be displayed in:a) Group A occupancies
b) Group R-1 occupancies
c) Group I-3 occupancies
d) Dwelling units of R-2 apartment house occupancies
9) All of the following are correct statements regarding portable fueled equipment except:a) Portable fueled equipment may be stored indoors in an FDNY approved indoor storage area
b) Portable Fueled equipment may be stored below grade if stored in an FDNY approved indoor storage area
c) Portable fueled equipment must not be used indoors
d) Fuel for portable fueled equipment must be stored in a flammable liquid storage cabinet if the quantity exceeds two and one half gallons.
10) When an occupancy is classified as a low hazard occupancy (moderate quantity of Class A combustibles) a 2-A portable extinguisher is required every ____ feeta) 2,500
11) Portable Fire Extinguishers are required to be inspected?a) quarterly
d) semi annually
12) Which of the following would be required to be flame resistant?a) Decorations that are displayed solely for sale
b) Curtains in a Hotel Ballroom
c) A work of art in a museum
d) Cut natural trees containing pitch in a house of worship
13) Before Fumigation can begin, written notice must be given to the Fire Department ______ hours before the work begins
- a) 48
- b) 24
- c) 72
- d) 96
14) Select the incorrect statement regarding fumigation:a) Written notice must be given to the complaint desk at the Fire Department before fumigation can begin
b) a buildings alarm system must be taken off line prior to fumigation work
c) Written notice must be given to building occupants prior to fumigation work
d) Cold ULV fogging requires notification to both the Fire Department and Department of Buildings
15) You are the Fire and Life Safety Director at a new hotel. The hotel has a roof top bar that measures 2,500 square feet. As FLSD you should know that the maximum allowable occupancy on the roof is?a) 25
d) Outdoor areas have no occupancy limit
16) Which of the following would require that the building supply a garden hose connected to an approved water supply?a) Roof top Bar whose occupancy load exceeds 75
b) Roof top bar with a combustible deck
c) Roof top landscaping exceeding 250 square feet
d) Roof top garden containing conifers
17) A Master Fire Suppression Piping Contractor enters your hotel to inspect your Multi Zone Standpipe System. As a FLSD you would know the technician must possess what certification? (Reference Material)a) S-11
18) Select the incorrect statement regarding Class K extinguishersa) The extinguishing agents found in a class K extinguisher are not electrically conductive and can be used prior to power removal
b) Class K extinguishers can either be wet or dry chemical extinguishers
c) Class K extinguishers are to be used on flamnable liquids and fats
d) Class K extinguishers may operate as a chemical mist
19) After hot work operations have concluded, a fire watch must continue for how long?
- a) 1 hour
- b) 15 minutes
- c) 30 minutes
- d) 90 minutes
20) When acting as a fire guard for torch operations the certificate of fitness holder must ensure a portable extinguisher is within ______ feet of the hot work operations?a) 50 feet
b) 75 feet
c) 30 feet
d) 10 feet
The answers for quiz 7 can be found on
Fire Component Quiz Chapter 8, 9, 10 & 11
- In the event of fire/smoke condition, the FLS Director must _______.
A. ensure the elevators remain in service
B. immediately report to the fire floor
C. ensure that 911 is called immediately
D. dismiss the alarm
- How many unwarranted/unnecessary alarms are ALLOWED by the FDNY in any three month period BEFORE issuance of a Fire Department summons to the building?
- During a fire drill, occupants should be instructed to FIRST notify _____ in the event of a fire.
A. their company’s owner
B. the building manager
D. their family members
- During a fire or catastrophic event, all of the following elements tend to lead to panic EXCEPT:
A. announcements using plain language.
B. overcrowded conditions.
C. limited/blocked exits.
D. rapid spread of fire.
- During a fire drill, the occupants should be advised that if fire alarm systems activates with no additional information, they should move ___________.
A. at least 2 floors below their present location
B. to the roof
C. at least 3 floors below their present location
D. at least 4 floors above their present location
- As a general practice, during a fire, occupants in non-affected areas may be safest if they __________.
A. relocate to the opposite side of the building
B. remain in place at their present location and listen for announcements
C. evacuate to the roof of the building
D. relocate to at least 4 floors above the fire
- Fire drills in a new office building must be conducted at least _________ in the first 2 years following acceptance of a Comprehensive Fire Safety and Emergency Action Plan. (Reference Material)
- During fire drills, the FLS Director should NOT teach the building occupants _________________.
A. to follow their own instinct instead of the FLS staff’s instruction
B. the importance of listening for announcements and directions
C. the importance of listening for and complying with the directions from emergency responders
D. that the FLS staff are trained to keep building occupants safe
9.If the fire alarm is taken off-line, the following entries should be made except;A. Date and time off-line
B. The name of the owner approving taking the system off line.
C. Reason off-line
D. Central station name, phone number of the central station, and name and the C of F number (or ID number) of the operator
10.The FLS logbook should include the record of any inspection and test of dedicated and/or non-dedicated smoke control systems. The entries should include all of items below except?
A. The Date of the inspection/test
B. Name of the person who performs the inspection/test
C. Normal power because these system are only test under normal power.
D. Condition found and any action taken regarding to the condition
11.Fire escapes/external stairs are considered to be a __________ means of egress from a building.
12.Who is authorized to conduct the initial training for FLS Staff?
A. Building Evacuation Supervisor
B. FLS Director
C. the building owner
D. local fire house
13.Fire drills and emergency action plan drills_______.
A. must be scheduled after regular business hours
B. can be eliminated after two years
C. must be conducted on separate dates
D. can be combined
- Of the five property groups which accounted for 73% of the high-rise fires in the study, which one accounted for the most fires?
B. office buildings
C. facilities to care for the sick
D. apartment houses
- A fire drill conducted for purposes of compliance with Fire Code must be conducted by all of the following except
B. The Building Evacuation Supervisor only in an Office building
C. W-07 C of F holder
D. FEP coordinator
16.When conducting a fire drill in a building of combustible construction the presenter must,communicate the following information to building occupants:A. the sequence of operation of the fire alarm system, that is, where the alarm will ring, the fire and floor above, the fire floor, floor above and floor below or entire building.
B. what combustible construction means
C. that evacuation from the building is not recommended.
D. in buildings not protected by a sprinkler system, emphasize the importance of responding immediately to a fire alarm, as a fire can double in size every minute
- All of the following people are allowed to give a drill at a build requiring a comprehensive fire and life safety plan except?
B. FEP Coordinator
C. a deputy fire and life safety director
D. a drill conductor with a certificate of fitness took me until now to get
- The fire department encourages owners and the fire and life safety director to make drills more interesting for building occupants and thereby making the information communicated more memorable. Therefore the fire and life safety director should do all of the following except?
B. Include visual enhancements to supplement the drill instructions.
C. Never use actual incidents and the lessons learned as they might scare the drill participants.
D. Floor plans can be used illustrate stairway locations and evacuation routes, signs can be used emphasize concepts.
- What area was the leading area of origin for fires in hotels office buildings or facilities to care for the sick?
B. laundry rooms.
C. Kitchener cooking area.
D. Living spaces
- The fire and life safety director must ensure that the building's fire protection systems and other equipment are inspected tested maintained periodically by qualified personnel. Which of the following is not a good practice?
B. Ensure that self closing doors are chocked open at all times when not in use.
C. The entire premises should be checked daily for ignition sources and build up of combustible rubbish.
D. Ensure that fire extinguishers and fire alarm stations are clearly visible and easily accessible.
The answers for quizzes 8, 9, 10 & 11 can be found on
Non Fire Component Quiz
1) In the event of a non fire emergency in or affecting the building The FLSD should report to:a) The area of the emergency/threat
b) Appropriate building entrance to assist first responders
c) The assigned location of the building engineer
d) Fire Command Center
2) The area of the building that may be in close proximity to the threat /incident and experience the immediate impact of the threat/ incident is known as________a) The Danger Zone
b) The Impact Area
c) The Affected area
d) The Rest of the building
3) An all clear announcement can only be given by:a) The FLSD
b) The owner
c) The proper Authorities
d) A responsible person
4) After the Fire Departments acceptance of a building’s Emergency Action Plan, how many non fire drills must be conducted within the first year?
- a) four
- b) one
- c) two
- d) six
5) Which of the following is not a recommended action during a non fire emergency?a) shelter in place
b) partial evacuation
c) roof relocation
d) in building relocation
6) Choose the correct statement regarding elevator use during a non fire emergency:a) During non fire emergencies, elevators should be operated in phase 2
b) elevators in manual mode will not respond to a Phase 1 recall
c) elevators used during a non fire emergency must be provided with 2 way voice communication
d) Elevator use during non fire emergencies must be directed by floor wardens or brigade members
7) Select the incorrect statement regarding chemical biological and radiological substances:a) The affect of biological agents is often immediate
b) many chemicals have a unique odor and color
c) Biological agents can be in either liquid or powder form
d) High dose radiological substances have a unique smell and are easily seen.
8) Select the correct statement regarding natural gas leaks:a) Natural gas is odorless, a harmless chemical odor is added so leaks will be detectable.
b) Natural gas is heavier than air and will collect at lower levels
c) low concentrations of natural gas can lead to Asphyxia
d) If an occupant smells gas, they should immediately call the utility company
9) which of the following city agency is not a primary agency during a citywide public health emergencya) FDNY ( Fire Department)
b) DEP( Department of environmental protection)
c) NYPD( police department)
d) DOHMH ( Department of Health)
10) Select the incorrect statement regarding Natural Hazards:a) Tape does not prevent windows from breaking during a hurricane
b) good structural performance of a building during a hurricane generally will also indicate protection from flooding
c) If not previously evacuated, during a hurricane residents should stay indoors away from windows
d) Residents should be instructed not to open windows during a tornado
11) When a suspicious package is discovered, a clear zone of at least _____ feet should be evacuated and cordoned off.a) 600 feet
b) 50 feet
c) 35 feet
d) 300 feet
12) Select the correct statement regarding suspicious packages:a) HVAC system should not be shut down due to the need for building ventilation
b) people in contact with the package should wash their hands immediately
c) keep a list of the people who had contact with the package only
d) Smell the package and see if you can determine if it has an odor
13) Select the incorrect statement regarding HVAC Systems during non fire emergencies:a) The building engineer is expected to assist the FLSD with building ventilation systems
b) one of the most important steps in protecting a building’s indoor environment is the security of outdoor air intakes
c) In the event of a chemical, biological or radiological agent HVAC systems must always be shut down to prevent the contamination of the entire building
d) During a CBR attack emergency egress stairs should remain pressurized
14) A stairway familiarization drill shall require building occupants to enter a building stairwell and be escorted down at least ________ floorsa) 1
15) All of the following are correct statements regarding non fire drills except:a) Beginning one year from the date of the departments acceptance of the buildings initial emergency action plan a non fire drill should be conducted on each floor of the building twice a year
b) during the non fire drill building occupants should be instructed to call 911 first then the FLS staff
c) building occupants should be instructed that fire alarm manual pull station should not be activated during an active shooter incident
d) The non fire drill must be conducted through live instruction
16) If a building owner plans a full building evacuation drill the Fire Department must be notified______ hours in advancea) 24 hours
b) 48 hours
c) 36 hour
d) 72 hours
17) As FLSD you should instruct your staff that if they see water bubbling up from the ground or suspect a water main break they should:a) Call 911
b) call Department of environmental protection
c) contact office of emergency management via website
d) call 311
18) For a natural gas release inside a building affecting multiple floors which of the following is the recommended action?a) Shelter in place
b) in building relocation
c) partial evacuation
d) full evacuation
19) As a FLSD you know that all of the following are true statements regarding Carbon Monoxide incidents except?a) Carbon monoxide comes from the incomplete burning of fuel
b) propane space heaters are illegal in New York city due to the danger of carbon monoxide production
c) Carbon monoxide has a distinct odor, similar to rotten eggs
d) Vehicles running inside a garage is the most common carbon dioxide danger
20) If there is a civil disturbance outside your building the recommended action for the affected area of the building would be to?a) Full building evacuation
b) shelter in place
c) in building relocation
d) partial evacuation
21) Select the correct statement regarding suspicious packages and bomb threats:a) If a bomb threat is made by phone the FLSD should record everything that is said
b) a clear zone of 100 feet should be cordoned off if a suspicious package is identified
c) If a suspicious package may contain a hazardous material type substance, the buildings HVAC system should remain on in order to remove the hazardous substance via the return air supply
d) If there is an explosion within the building the occupants should remain in place until assisted from the premises by rescue personnel
22) The FLSD should consult with which of the following personnel before implementing the emergency action plan ?a) Office of emergency management
b) Building management
c) Fire and life safety staff
23) Elevators that will be used during a non fire emergency must contain which feature?a) Emergency Door release
b) two way communication capability
c) designated air supply
d) Phase 2 capability
24) Under what circumstances should a manual pull station be activated during a non fire emergencya) The manual pull station should never be activated during a non fire emergency
b) only when it’s activation will assist in building notification
c) only if fire or smoke is present
d) it can be activated any time the FLSD director determines is use is necessary
25) If a building is planning a total building evacuation drill all of the following agencies must be notified except?a) Department of Transportation
D) office of emergency management
26) During an active shooter inside the building the FLSD should communicate with the building occupants which of the following is true about these communications?
- a) Use Code word so the shooter does not know what they are talking about.
- b) Only in English no other languages are permitted
- c) Immediate notification is critical.
- d) Only use the building base PA system so the occupants know that it is a staff member.
27) For suspected hazardous materials releases , the FLSD should maintain a safe working area that is _________ from the Hazardous materiala) Downhill/ downwind
b) Up hill/ Downwind
c) Down wind / uphill
d) Uphill/ upwind
28) As an FLS Director, if safe to do so, immediately report to the Fire Command Center during an active shooter event. The Fire Command Center should be used for command, communication and control of the emergency. Which of the following actions is unacceptable?A) The building occupants need to know that there is an active shooter in the building. Depending on the building communication systems, the alert should be delivered via as many different methods as possible
b) The notification should be a conveyance of information, not an issuance of a command. The alert must indicate that there is an active shooter event taking place inside the building.
c) if possible, tell the occupants where the shooter was last seen.
d) If you think that the notification will lead to a panic a situation then you can delay the notification to avoid panic.
29- All of the following are tactics for survival during an active shooter except;a) BARRICADE
c) REASON WITH
30-As an FLS Director, you are required to notify arriving NYPD, FDNY personnel and other first responders of the nature of the emergency and the actions taken up to the current time. You should also provide building information including how many first responder kits?a) 4
The answers for the Non-Fire quiz can be found on