A retired FDNY Captain, Captain Dugan leverages his extensive knowledge of current NYC local laws and fire codes as well as his nearly three decades of experience and leadership, as a Fire & Life Safety Consultant with NY Fire Consultants on assignments that include developing Fire Safety Plans, Fire Protection Plans, and Residential Fire Safety Guides.
- Fire Safety Director
- Emergency Action Plan Director
- Construction Site Fire Safety Manager
- Fire Safety Coordinator
- Building Staff and Resident Training
- Fire Guard
- Refrigeration-Building Operations, Maintenance and Recordkeeping (R-BOMR)
In addition to teaching at NYFSI and consulting for our clients, Captain Dugan is an instructor at the FDIC and contributing editor to Fire Engineering magazine, serves on the FDIC and Fire Engineering Executive advisory boards, and is a featured lecturer around the country.
Captain Dugan is a 27-year veteran of the FDNY and served as Captain of Ladder Company 123 in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, before retiring in 2012.
Captain Dugan has been involved with the Fire Service for over 40 years. As a Lieutenant, he served in Ladder Company 42 in the South Bronx. While assigned as a firefighter in Ladder Company 43, in Spanish Harlem, he received the James Gordon Bennett medal in 1992 and the Harry M. Archer Medal in 1993, the FDNY’s highest award for bravery. Captain Dugan is also a former volunteer firefighter with the Halesite FD in N.Y.
Captain Dugan was an instructor at the inception of the FDNY’s Annual Education Day and has developed programs that were taught to all FDNY members during Annual Education Day.
- 1976 – Graduated with honors from Suffolk Community College with AAS in Criminal Justice
- 1974 – Graduated from Huntington High School
Specialized Training & Certifications include:
- Certified Instructor Level I and Level II
- Certified Fire Officer
- Confined Space Awareness and Safety course
- NY State Incident Safety Officer and Instructor for I.S.O. and Incident Command System (1996)
- NY State First Line Supervisors Training Program
- Received Certificates for course completion in the following:
- Fire Cause and Origin, Hazardous Materials Operations, Fire Behavior and Arson Awareness, Building Construction Principles, Education Methodology and Fire Prevention
- Extensive Background in the fields of Rigging, Machinery Moving, and Building Construction
- New York State Education Department Certificate Holder to teach:
- 1992 – Chauffeur Training for NYC Ladder Equipment, rated 1st in class
- 1985 – Fire Academy NYC, Class Valedictorian
- 1985 – Police Academy NYC, Class Valedictorian
- Fire Engineering and FDIC Executive Advisory Board
- FDNY Emerald Society
- FDNY Honor Legion
- New York State Association of Fire Chiefs – Regional representative
- Uniformed Fire Officers Association
- FDNY Holy Name Society
- Retired Firefighters Association