A retired FDNY Deputy Chief, Jim leverages his extensive knowledge of current NYC local laws and fire codes as well as three decades of experience and leadership, as Co-Founder & President of NY Fire Consultants, where he is also a lead consultant for clients, and President of NY Fire Safety Institute.
Prior to retiring in 1999 Jim dedicated 30 years to keeping NYC safe as an integral member of the FDNY. He was promoted to the chiefs rank in less than 18 years of service. Jim spent almost his entire FNDY career in Manhattan with diverse building structures that range from high-rise commercial and residential buildings to hotels and hospitals, from theaters, places of worship, and courthouses to many commercial and landmark buildings. While on active duty, Jim was the Commanding Officer of the Special Operations.
While at Special Operations, Jim reorganized the elite units of the Command. He supervised all fire department units, other than Engine and Ladder companies, Rescue Companies, Rescue Tactical Units, HazMat Operations, Marine Units, Decontamination Units and Dewatering Units.
Jim also coordinated the merger of the Emergency Medical Service’s Special Operation Division into the Fire Department’s Special Operation, initiated and developed Technical Rescue School and Hazardous Material Training School, originated the placement of fast response boats (Auxiliary Rescue Craft), developed the Rest and Recuperation Units assigned to all Boroughs of city, and tested the performance of bunker gear with sarin never gas simulate with the US Army at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds.
- New Jersey State Fire College: Created and taught “High Rise Firefighting”, “Hotel Fires – Rescue and Response” “Elevator Fires and Emergencies” 1992 to 1994
- New Jersey Safety Exposition: Speaker “Hotel Fire Safety” 1992 and 1993
- Elisabeth New Jersey Fire Department: Conducted hand on training session with joint paid and volunteer firefighters 1994
- New York Fire Department Institute: Seminar speaker 1994 to 1996
- New York State Office of Fire Prevention & Control: Developed New York State Certified Fire Chiefs Command Course with the course due to start in 1999
- Fire Chiefs Association – President 1997 to 1999 and Treasurer 1993 to 1996. As Fire Chief’s treasurer, Jim computerized records and, as president, created Fire Chiefs Associations WEB
- International Association of Fire Chiefs
- New York State Association of Fire Chiefs Regional representative
- Uniformed Fire Officers Association Uniformed Firefighters Association
- Retired Firefighters Association