Saturdays: Fire Life Safety Director (FLSD) component #1 Fire Only
This is Component #1 of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) accredited course for Fire and Life Safety Director (FSLD). The course provides 20-hours of instruction across four classes for the weekday sessions, or four classes for the Saturday sessions
This course is only offer to candidates that failed the FDNY Computer Base Test at 9 MetroTech.
Pre-requisite for FLSD F-89: 1.5 years of Fire Safety related experience, including 6 months of experience in one property.
Click link to review new qualifications criteria:
FDNY requires that you attend all classes and receive a mark of 70% on NYFSI’s final exam for this course. Those passing with a mark of 70% or higher are granted a diploma from NYFSI, which must be presented at the Fire Department.
A Fire and Life Safety Director (FLSD) is required in any commercial building or occupancy that obtained FDNY approval of the installation of a fire alarm system with two-way voice communication, and is required to provide a Fire Safety Director or other specified emergency preparedness staffing during regular business hours required by Chapter 4 of the Fire Code.
Any building classified as Group E (1968 Code) or Group B (2008 Code) by the NYC Department of Buildings, which has an occupancy of 100 people or more must have a Fire and Life Safety Director on site during regular business hours. This includes office buildings, public or civil services buildings, and hotels. The Fire and Life Safety Director must hold a valid Certificate of Fitness and is responsible for implementing a fire safety and evacuation plan, training fire safety personnel (FSP), and other duties related to fire safety and evacuation plans.
This Certificate of Fitness is valid only at a specific location and for the specific person to whom it is issued.
- Fire Life Safety Director's Quiz By Chapters
- Download the FDNY Notice of Examination, which includes the procedures and requirements to become a certified Fire & Life Safety Director.
- Schedule the FDNY EAP Certificate of Fitness Exam at the Fire Department
- Apply with the FDNY for your Certificate of Fitness for Fire Safety Director. You will also find links for the FDNY’s onsite exam study guides.
- Download the FDNY Verification Letter for Application for Fire Safety Director.
- Download Certificate of Fitness Application Form
- Download the FDNY Application for Fire & Life Safety Director
- Download Qualification Criteria for FSD
- Fire Safety Director On-Site Exam Request Instructions