Weekdays Mornings: Fire Life Safety Director (FLSD) component #1 Fire
This is Component #1 of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) accredited course for Fire and Life Safety Director (FSLD). The course provides 20-hours of instruction across six classes for the weekday sessions, or four classes for the Saturday sessions
To complete the requirements for Fire and Life Safety Director (FSLD) Component #2 (Non-Fire Emergencies) and Component #3 (Active Shooter/Medical Emergencies) must also be taken.
Sign up for all three courses and save on the registration fee.
Pre-requisite for FLSD F-89: 1.5 years of Fire Safety related experience, including 6 months of experience in one property.
Click link to review new qualifications criteria:
FDNY requires that you attend all classes and receive a mark of 70% on NYFSI’s final exam for this course. Those passing with a mark of 70% or higher are granted a diploma from NYFSI, which must be presented at the Fire Department.
About the FDNY Certificate of Fitness
A Fire and Life Safety Director (FLSD) is required in any commercial building or occupancy that obtained FDNY approval of the installation of a fire alarm system with two-way voice communication, and is required to provide a Fire Safety Director or other specified emergency preparedness staffing during regular business hours required by Chapter 4 of the Fire Code.
Any building classified as Group E (1968 Code) or Group B (2008 Code) by the NYC Department of Buildings, which has an occupancy of 100 people or more must have a Fire and Life Safety Director on site during regular business hours. This includes office buildings, public or civil services buildings, and hotels. The Fire and Life Safety Director must hold a valid Certificate of Fitness and is responsible for implementing a fire safety and evacuation plan, training fire safety personnel (FSP), and other duties related to fire safety and evacuation plans.
This Certificate of Fitness is valid only at a specific location and for the specific person to whom it is issued.
Helpful FDNY Links
- Download the FDNY Notice of Examination, which includes the procedures and requirements to become a certified Fire & Life Safety Director.
- Schedule the FDNY EAP Certificate of Fitness Exam at the Fire Department
- Apply with the FDNY for your Certificate of Fitness for Fire Safety Director. You will also find links for the FDNY’s onsite exam study guides.
- Download the FDNY Verification Letter for Application for Fire Safety Director.
- Download Certificate of Fitness Application Form
- Download the FDNY Application for Fire & Life Safety Director
- Download Qualification Criteria for FSD
- Fire Safety Director On-Site Exam Request Instructions