Fire Safety Director
FIRE SAFETY DIRECTORS
This is the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) accredited course for Fire Safety Directors (FSD). The course provides 20-hours of instruction across three weeks for weekday sessions, or four weeks for Saturday sessions.
FDNY requires that you attend all classes and receive a mark of 70% on NYFSI’s final exam for this course. Those passing with a mark of 70% or higher are granted a diploma from NYFSI, which must be presented at the Fire Department.
Note: Effective December 1, 2016 all FSD candidates taking their test at the Fire Department must bring proof that they passed the school FSD course and the new Active Shooter and Medical Emergency Preparedness course.
About the FDNY Certificate of Fitness
A Fire Safety Director (FSD) is required in any commercial building or occupancy that obtained FDNY approval of the installation of a fire alarm system with two-way voice communication, and is required to provide a Fire Safety Director or other specified emergency preparedness staffing during regular business hours required by Chapter 4 of the Fire Code.
Any building classified as Group E (1968 Code) or Group B (2008 Code) by the NYC Department of Buildings, which has an occupancy of 100 people or more must have a Fire Safety Director on site during regular business hours. This includes office buildings, public or civil services buildings, and hotels. The Fire Safety Director must hold a valid Certificate of Fitness and is responsible for implementing a fire safety and evacuation plan, training fire safety personnel (FSP), and other duties related to fire safety and evacuation plans.
This Certificate of Fitness is valid only at a specific location and for the specific person to whom it is issued.
Helpful FDNY Links
- Download the FDNY Notice of Examination, which includes the procedures and requirements to become a certified Fire Safety Director.
- Apply with the FDNY for your Certificate of Fitness for Fire Safety Director. You will also find links for the FDNY’s onsite exam study guides.
- Download the FDNY Verification Letter for Application for Fire Safety Director.
- Download Certificate of Fitness Application Form
- Download the FDNY Application for Fire Safety Director
- Download Qualification Criteria for FSD
- Fire Safety Director On-Site Exam Request Instructions